our family adventures, projects I find on pinterst and try myself, home updates & of course, our little guy

Monday, September 23, 2013

I've made a HUGE decision!!

 I've made a HUGE decision!!

I have debated for a while on whether to share this with others in fear of how it would be preceived.  I don't want to come off as boasting or "one-upping" anyone.  I've decided to share my decision with you in hopes you might also make this decision and help those in need.

With that said....Here it is....In May I raised my sleeve and donated blood.  I had been wanting to donate for a while, but hadn't made the time to do it.  Since then I have made a commitment to donated as often as possible.  This isn't my HUGE decision, but I think it's still a big one.  See when I give blood I get super light headed and almost pass out...Matthew tells me "Duh!  You just gave blood!".  Well, that's true, but I still don't like giving blood, but I fell it's a little something I can do to help.  When I was there the phlebotomists had told me about a program called Be The MatchBe The Match is a registry for people to donate marrow or stem cells to others in need. 

Some of you may know that my boss was diagnosed 6 years ago with multiple myeloma and had to have a stem cell transplant.  Once I learned more about Be The Match I knew it was something for me!  I did my research here and found that all I had to do right now was a cheek swab and most importantly make a commitment...if I was a match to someone---> I was going to donate...no ifs, ands, or buts, unless for some reason I didn't qualify anymore.  The part I was most shocked by was that if I donated, my body would reproduce what I donated...just like when I give blood!  I couldn't believe it!!  That's all it took for me to sign up!

Are you eligible?  Here's the criteria..

That's it!!!  Are you ready to help save someone's life?  Sign up here!




No comments:

Post a Comment