our family adventures, projects I find on pinterst and try myself, home updates & of course, our little guy

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

DIY: Pacifier Clip




We started off with 2 pacifier clips I received from my baby shower…5 months later and we lost one and one broke.  When we are at home we don’t use the clips, but when James goes to daycare or when we are out and about I like him to have it on.  At daycare I know it makes it much easier on them to have it attached to him and I don’t even want to think about what disease he can get off the floor at the grocery store!  So back to not having a pacifier clip, I priced a new one….$6.50 for an ugly one…ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?  I feel like if I’m going to spend $6.50 I better be in LOVE with it!!!  So what’s this frugal mama to do?!?!  Go directly to Pinterest.com.  Do not pass go.  Do not collect $200….ok I’ll take the $200!!

Thank you Gretchen F!  Find her tutorial here! (I never claim to be original!) 



What you will need:




* 10” Ribbon ($2.99 for 15 feet!! WOW!!)
(Gretchen suggest 8”, but I wanted mine a little longer)
* 1 fastener (hobby lobby $1.99 for 2)
* 3/8” Velcro (I had some already)
* Needle & thread (had this too!)
* Scissors (I hope you have these!)
* A pacifier (for guidance)
* And I highly suggest an adult beverage…have fun while you're being crafty!

I love this because you get to make it unique, It’s cheap, and It’s so easy you don’t need to know much about sewing!

1. Start by making two small hems (1 on each end)
2. On end #1 sew one strip of the Velcro to the back side of the ribbon (consider a double sided ribbon if you can find one—otherwise it’s white!)

 3. On the same end # 1 and the same back side of the ribbon sew the second strip of Velcro about 1 ½” down.

Steps 1-3 shown here


 4. On the other end #2 insert the fastener and fold over the fabric back side together.  Sew these together. (This is where the pacifier comes in handy…make sure you like the way the ribbon will lay.  I liked the design to show when James had the pacifier in his mouth…when it’s not in his mouth it’s going to twist and who knows which way it will show.)  If you look at my clip the front of the fastener and the front of the ribbon are visible at the same time.

step 4
step 4


THE FINAL PRODUCT....




This took about 15 minutes to make.  I wanted it to have cleaner edges so I made the hems…this is not necessary if you would like to omit it you can; it just won’t look as clean.

My final cost for 1 pacifier clip…. $1.25!   

Since I already had everything but the ribbon and fasteners my cost was low.  If you need to buy other items it will be higher and depending on which ribbon you purchase you cost could be more!

And if you want me to make it....I will...for $6.50.....after you buy the ribbon!!  lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment